Grading Practices: How I Plan Using Standards Based Grading

I've talked a lot about the challenges of reforming your grading practices but I want to give you a chance to see what those challenges really look like. I am currently rewriting and revising all of my AP World History Course with more specific objectives. A mistake I made last year with that course was making the objectives too broad and not having students reflect often enough, so now I am taking a totally different approach and you are invited to visit my in progress planning document and leave questions and comments on the document as I work on it!


One common question I get is about skills based objectives. The Common Core standards put literacy in every classroom (which I love) but the standards also ask teachers to assess skills and the skills are typically not one and done, they build throughout units or throughout the year. They are a part of multiple lessons and it is hard to determine the best way to approach reoccurring skills when Standards Based Grading. This is one of those places where I am not sure there is a one-size-fits-all approach, so I made a quick reference chart to help teachers see some of the main options for how to approach this and determine what works best for them.



As always, if you have questions let me know on Twitter on in the comments! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hacking the System: Using a 4 Point Scale with a Traditional Online Gradebook

Why I Am Leaving Canvas LMS for Google Classroom

Favorite Books on Grading Practices and Grade Reform