6 Articles to Get You Thinking About Grade Reform


I've spent the past few years reading everything I could about grading practices. I have been so lucky to be supported by my admin team as I have tried new things in my classroom and now that I have a few years under my belt I have even had the chance to start helping others find the best practices for them. 

When I help teachers who are considering new practices, I always start with a list of favorite books but the reality is most of us don't have the time or energy to dive into a book unless we know it is really going to help us. With grading practices that means knowing enough about grade reform practices to know if it is the right time for you to make a change and little of what those changes might look like.  Because of this, I decided to put together a list of some of my favorite articles that might help you determine if it's time to dig deeper and learn more.

Articles on why teachers have changed their practices and how to determine if you are ready to change yours


1. Another article to get you thinking about why some teachers are changing traditional grading practices is this one from Tony Wigner.



2. Carol Ann Tomilinson wrote one of my favorite books on grading but most of us don't have time to read every book out there so this article is a great resource from her for those aren't sure just yet if they are ready to jump in. 



Articles on Grading Practices 

3. Rick Wormeli is one of the most influential voices out there on grade reform and I love his thoughts on redos and retakes. You can read his main article here.

4. He also has a great article on teaching through assessment, if we spend so much time grading student work shouldn't it be a part of the learning process not just an end result?

Articles on Standards-Based Grading 

5. This article from Patricia Scriffny goes over 7 reasons to implement standards-based grading.



6. And finally, here is my own post on my biggest challenges in changing my own grading practices.

You can read all my posts about my grade reform journey here. I'll warn you, it gets messy but this messy work has made teaching more meaningful for me and while I still have a lot to learn I doubt there is anything that could make me ever go back to how I used to do things.

Do you have any favorite articles on grading practices? Share them in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hacking the System: Using a 4 Point Scale with a Traditional Online Gradebook

Why I Am Leaving Canvas LMS for Google Classroom

Formative Assessment Isn't What You Think