To Be Read: 5 Books I Am Excited to Read in 2019


I am obsessed with reading. It might actually be an addiction. I love books in all formats, lengths, and genres. The holidays meant I got some Amazon gift cards and so, of course, I used those to fill my Kindle with books. Here are 5 books that I am really excited to read in 2019.

So You Want To Talk About Race


I use GoodReads a lot to help me find books and this one came up based on other books I read in 2018 and then I found this interview with author Ijeoma Oluo and knew this was a book I needed to read immediately.


I don't think I read enough books on race in 2018. It is essential that I make time and space to educate myself on what experiences my students are having that I never had and never will have. This is one of several books on my 2019 reading list that I hope will help me better serve my students and my community. 

A Teachers Guide to Standards-Based Learning 



I've read a lot of books on grading practices and grade reform so it is rare that I get super excited about new ones but I am reading this one with a small book club and I am so excited for the experience of reading this book and discussing it with them. We are all teachers working to create Standards-Based classrooms, we created a Voxer group and a reading schedule, and I am anxious for all that I know I will learn from the experience. There is so much to be gained by talking about grading openly and honestly. I know I've learned the most when I have been able to talk grading practices with my colleagues, even if they teach different content than I do. I am excited about the process and the journey which makes me excited to read this book. 

Why Learn History (When It's Already On Your Phone) 



I love Sam Wineburg. If you are a history teacher and you haven't read his work please go out and read it right now. Because of my love of him, I am a little annoyed with myself for not getting to this book until now. He is the champion for how social studies is not about dates and names but instead about skills and understand the world in which we live. I am thrilled to see him producing a book that I hope will tackle the argument of "If you can google it, why are you teaching it?" in a more eloquent way than I do. 

A Very Large Expanse of Sea




Another way I find new books to read is through the Nerdy Book Club. This is actually how I find most of the YA books I read that are not recommendations from students. They released their end of year lists and their review of this YA book made me buy it right away. 

From the Nerdy Book Club: "A Very Large Expanse of Sea is a masterfully constructed novel that explores prejudices, racism, families, identity, and first love. The characters are beautifully developed and authentic. Shirin tells the story; her voice is fierce, funny, vulnerable, and honest.  I was completely pulled into her powerful narrative, and I could not stop thinking about her long after I finished. Mafi’s novel challenges readers to ponder their own beliefs, assumptions, and actions. And, also reminds us of the captivating bliss of first love. "

I am a sucker for a good love story but even more so when it is paired with powerful narratives and unforgettable characters. I am excited to read this book and share it with my students. 

Educated: A Memoir 


"Born to survivalists in the mountains of Idaho, Tara Westover was 17 the first time she set foot in a classroom. Her family was so isolated from mainstream society that there was no one to ensure the children received an education and no one to intervene when one of Tara's older brothers became violent. When another brother got himself into college, Tara decided to try a new kind of life. Her quest for knowledge transformed her, taking her over oceans and across continents, to Harvard and to Cambridge University. Only then would she wonder if she'd traveled too far, if there was still a way home" 

This is my first book on my list of audiobooks for the year. The description has me fascinated and it is another book that was recommended to me via GoodReads and has amazing reviews and ratings. 

What books are you excited to read in 2019? Which were your favorites of 2018? Tell me in the comments! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hacking the System: Using a 4 Point Scale with a Traditional Online Gradebook

Why I Am Leaving Canvas LMS for Google Classroom

Favorite Books on Grading Practices and Grade Reform